So yup, my computer has met its demise. Perhaps whatever Dell is sending me in the mail will restore my computer, but until then I am forced to borrow - yes only from my husband but still!
It is amazing to be me how far we have gotten in just my lifetime with technology. Often when I watch elders interact with new technology I am awed at what it must be like for them. Tablets that now access the world are so slim, imagine the number of volumes of books one used to have to own just to amount to a tenth of the knowledge - wow!
As we reflect on the fourth of July and the celebration of our country. I cannot help but think about the amazing transformation that life has gone through from the first days of settlement to now. Those first America's and especially those who fought for independence lived in a time without much luxury. At least compared with today. For today, I drove to work in AC, am sitting in a AC building and will drive home comfortably. I will even use a flushing toilet.
What independence meant to them now and what it often gets used to mean today are some times very different. The freedoms that we take for granted today are great and the freedoms we yield at a drop of the hat (like the right to sue) are something I think we should take some time thinking about.
As Christians, we choose to put God first. We choose to follow God's will and we are lucky enough to live in a country that we can do that. We also, however, often fail to remember that God is first. Choosing instead freedom to make stupid choices, choices that go against the will of God.
Use this weekend, to remember that God has already chosen us to be his people, let us in turn put God first! And remember the true journey of our country honoring those who came before us, affording us today with a luxurious life.