Mission Statement

Cyber Sabbath's goal is to begin to mend the division between Christ and the world (society) that Church has created through reflections, sermons and devotionals

Cyber Sabbath is a place for the stifled Christian voice to be heard. Media gives way to much time to the extremist - over looking the theologically educated and/or the moderates in favor of what sells their view point. Here, politics aside, a pastor reflects on God's voice in every day life.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

acceptable behavior?



Yesterday as we drove along a highway at 65+ miles per hour a person began riding our bummer.  So close that indeed we were afraid that they might hit us and all of a sudden we realized why – they were taking a picture of our license plate.  Yes we have a specialty plate – one I would call clever and funny – but I wouldn’t call it safe to take a picture going down the road.  In fact, without warrant, we have invited a culture of people to take pictures of our plates while driving.  This is not the first time it has happened and probably won’t be the last.
This bothers me.  Not only because I truly feel that my space and privacy is being invaded because I don’t know where this picture is going and who will see it but because people feel it is perfectly fine to do this.   
So this blog is a rant on our society…what cell phones have done for us.  We have become a group of people that are essentially very lonely because we cannot be with ourselves.  And this is one example…people cannot just enjoy the laughter of seeing our plate they must share this experience. 
Social media, cell phones and whatever else that keeps us connected has left us unable to connect with ourselves and God. It is so bad that our need to share our experiences instead of delight in them that we go to great and risky lengths to share them.  Here we have people willing to get into accidents at 65+ miles per hour for what? To share a laugh…it begs me to ask if I laugh alone in a car did I really laugh at all? (if a tree falls in an empty forest does it make a noise?) 
Is this bizarre behavior?  I think it should – I believe that this is why we are becoming a less religious nation – because religion asks us tough questions – religion asks us to spend time alone…because being Spiritual doesn’t have any set parameters and often only requires us to go to a yoga class and spend one hour in silence with a bunch of other people who don’t ask us to do anything more than drink coffee afterwards. 
I challenge you to think about this.  To ask yourself if you can be alone with yourself or if that bothers you and work on being able to be alone – work on your sprit but finding ways to find community not within the social media or the instant gratification but instead in people who will pray for you, be there for you and encourage you to be the best you can be – a church.  There is nothing like a truly loving church community.