Mission Statement

Cyber Sabbath's goal is to begin to mend the division between Christ and the world (society) that Church has created through reflections, sermons and devotionals

Cyber Sabbath is a place for the stifled Christian voice to be heard. Media gives way to much time to the extremist - over looking the theologically educated and/or the moderates in favor of what sells their view point. Here, politics aside, a pastor reflects on God's voice in every day life.

Friday, August 9, 2013

Identity

When I set this blog up a few short years ago I do so in hopes to reach the "unchurched" or at best to encourage those who are churched that there are people who "see" the problems of the church and are at the very least vocally trying to fix things. 

However, I have come to realize that my blog approach might be all wrong.  You see, churches as they are today are mostly groups of people attached and connected to each  other through buildings, without their buildings or the hopes of their buildings their community breaks down.  So, maybe this place shouldn't be here to speak to those who have already left but instead to ponder HOW do we build community without buildings at our center but instead Christ?? 

I'm not saying that all churches are bad or that all churches are all about money.  I currently serve a congregation who isn't like that - but they also have a very small church to maintain.  But, I say that they aren't like that because they aren't about their "building" surviving but instead their community.

I was recently heard statement made by a pastor in a smaller city who mused that all the churches within walking distance really could combine and be one.  They all are "warm and welcoming", they are all progressive and yet they all have smaller attendance then they once head.  The problem doesn't lie in the pews but instead in the denominational theology.  Interesting thought...but would they do this?  And who would give up their buildings?

Could we challenge ourselves within our churches to think of ways to be the church without our buildings and to find real and meaningful relationships with those outside? 

I ponder this as our churches face real identity challenges?  Who are they today?  Maybe we need to start asking the hard questions to ourselves instead of trying to promote ourselves to those who see right through our false idolatry.