With all that has happened this month between the supreme court throwing out DOMA, the Boy Scouts of America "opening" to gay boys and the continued challenges that the LGBT community faces I just felt that I needed to blog on this hot topic.
At some point in my life, most likely while I lived in the south, I heard a very anti homosexual rant on how clearly Genesis and God did not ordain such things. And as I have wrestled within myself, here are some of the thoughts I have concluded:
First, in Genesis 1, God creates humankind, in God's image both male and female. And then in Genesis 2 we hear about Adam and Eve. At first glance we say why are there two creation stories? The early Hebrews and Rabbis began creating the tradition of Lilith to answer this question. Later the scholars of the day suggested that since different authors were merged together to create Genesis we have two version of the story - the Priestly and the common peoples. The later might be a more scholarly answer and one I am able to accept...but what if they don't actually contradict each other?
What if there were several humans around when the Adam and Eve story took place - who else could their sons have married? Adam and Eve were not the first humans, Adam wasn't roaming the earth alone in the sense of the only human but he was alone. God realized that humans need relationship. And we crave relationship with others...perhaps Adam and Eve were God's first soul mates if you will. God created Eve for Adam.
Now that is the romantic in me! And if I haven't lost ya yet keep reading...
If you were homophobic you would right now proclaim how once again this must show that the Bible only wants men and women together. But God did not give Adam and Eve the commandment to procreate or to multiple....instead this is the reason why people leave home and start a life for themselves.
If God created Adam and Eve to be together then why couldn't God create John and Paul for each other or Sally and Sue? If God created my husband for me and me for my husband then why would I be so vain as to think that he didn't do that for others?
The romantic in me goes even further...maybe God didn't command Adam and Eve to go and multiple like he did the rest of the humans she created back in chapter 1 because for each of us there is a purpose and perhaps not for everyone does that relationship conclude in children.
Now yes, maybe we should more accurate read the Bible with our scholarly hats on saying that this above is a bit of a "fluff" reading. And yet, when it comes to anti- LBTG readings of the Bible they seem to be perfect for roasting on a camp fire. So maybe this isn't really that silly at all...
God has made each of us special and unique. God calls us children and sends an every present, never ending love ... if only we can live into that and up to that loving all of God's creation and trusting that the divine plan is bigger then we can even imagine.
So my hope to all that are reading this, is that you find the person that God created for you - For God knew you in your mothers womb and loved you then knowing you would become gay, straight, conservative or liberal.