The sun was shining that day and as it sparkled through the window it lite up the old piney desk that I was sitting at exposing in great detail all its blemishes. I was feeling just as sunny as that sun, with a tune in my head I had entered that classroom with a lot of expectation, enthusiasms and as always optimism. I was ready to start this next chapter of my life and the shinning light that morning was like a sign from God that indeed this was going to be a good day, a good start to college. My first class was a sociology class and from that first bright day I was hooked. I remember being so enthralled reading about Stanley Milgram and his multiple experiments, so much so that later in life I bought and read his biography. The man was brilliant.
One particular experiment of his has always stuck out and struck me: the question he was trying to answer: How did Hitler happen? How did seemingly good people allow Hitler to take over and how were the Nazis born? His experiment? Get people to electrocute others because someone in authority is asking, even if they are visible hurting.
His results?: It worked. People actually did just that. And it proved a good point...people are willing to blindly follow leaders / people of authority and that most people, despite what they think, go along with the status quo. I have said in post past that most "good" people actually usually do nothing and continue along trying to "keep peace" or be politically correct. It actually takes an extraordinary person to stand up and actually state the truths ... it takes a person to be bold.
And yet that is what Christ is asking us to do! Jesus' life would have been meaningless if he didn't break out of the norms, stand up to those of authority and push for justice. Jesus' life would have been meaningless if he did what was politically correct, if he only found ways to keep the peace or worse if stood back and did nothing.
I have asked in several blogs and in several sermons, where would you be during Jesus' crucifixion? Would you be staying at the foot of the cross, offering to share Jesus burden or would you have been like many of those who welcomed him into Jerusalem on Psalm Sunday who were nowhere to be found.
It hasn't been many years since Hitler, it is still in our collective memory and the horrors of what happen to the Jews and any others that Hitler deemed unworthy should be an all to real and painful reminder of what happens when we stop thinking for ourselves, when we stop questions and most importantly we put aside our beliefs aside to keep the status quo.
The light that shines for me is that of Jesus. I find hope in the Word of God and in the fact that as a true and faithful follower, I am called to question and to seek justice. I am called to stand up even if that means I might lose my job, in order to follow God's will and not the will that fills pocket books. I am called to demand that we as Christians live into a higher faithful following and to treat each other better.
I am not ashamed to put into writing my beliefs. I am not ashamed to call out those who willingly deceive nor am I going to hide the truth when asked. Because I am a BOLD woman of God...and IF you get to know me, then you would know that.