Science and Faith? Can they co-exist?
First I would like to say that I love science - so much so that as a philosophy major I took science for science major classes. And second, I am gonna offend people with this post and that is OK - for that is one of the reasons why I write this. So that others like me out there know that there IS room in Christianity for YOUR beliefs.
I'm of the impression that Christians who do not except or are unwilling to believe in the truths of biology, physics and astronomy are just being ignorant. The argument that science is just out there to prove faith wrong does not hold up. The argument that this is another of God's test is foolish. Evolution happens - heck it is through the concepts learned from evolution that we create half of our food supply (corn, soy, ect...)
But that doesn't mean that there isn't a God or that we can't have an even more meaningful relationship or be even more awed by God. For the more I learn in science the more I am amazed at life as we know it. But first, we have to begin to unpack the "Beginning"
In the Beginning God Created - I do not argue that. For there are even some who would say that at the very least God was the catalyst for the Big Bang (but we aren't going there in today's blog). God created! But God didn't create in 7 days as we know it. First several places in the Bible remind us that God's time and our time are different, but further research into time through physics has lead to that same understanding - the time that we perceive is not how time actually works. So, in my belief system, God living beyond our understanding of time and space began to create and is still creating today. How presumptuous of us to think that once humans were created God stopped creating? Life continues - and thus God continues creating.
So, am I saying we came from monkeys? Which seems to be the big thing that freaks people out about the whole Darwin Evolution theory. Well, to that I do not know. I hope that no, we didn't come from monkeys cause just like the rest of you there is something disturbing about it. But I am preparing myself for the day that people or God proves me wrong. God in infinite vastness could have planned our creation ANY WAY...and in any length of time. AND we need to be open to what the world of science is telling us, showing us and revealing to us not just about our world but about God's.
With all the probabilities of what could be and all the realities of what the world is and the truths about how we perceive it, I don't believe it possible to deny God's hand. Science does not have to be evil - it can be just as beautiful as a hymn when looked at as a way to praise God and not insult the Holy.