Mission Statement

Cyber Sabbath's goal is to begin to mend the division between Christ and the world (society) that Church has created through reflections, sermons and devotionals

Cyber Sabbath is a place for the stifled Christian voice to be heard. Media gives way to much time to the extremist - over looking the theologically educated and/or the moderates in favor of what sells their view point. Here, politics aside, a pastor reflects on God's voice in every day life.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

End of January blues...

At the end of January every year, I go through a short "blues."  For me it is because living in upstate NY the darkness is truly OLD at this point and I wish for the brighter summer days or at least the brighter evenings.  I can only take so many nights when it feels like mid-night at 6pm!  Although by January the days are getting a little longer, I just don't feel it.
The end of January also marks the coming down from Christmas - decorations are gone.  And I heard on a radio show one night that in a study on happiness Jan 20-something was the lowest ranking day of the year...and I am not surprised.
This time of year my house is always the messiest and my closet the fullest - since I cycle through just a few comfy cozy outfits to avoid having to do more laundry. 
This past week was so busy, I thought that I wouldn't get the opportunity this January to feel blue and yet despite the craziness, this desire to hibernate and find someplace warm to just be until the first sign of sprouts has found me.

And it is now that I realize - I need Spiritual Refreshment!  All my energy goes to Advent, Christmas, Jesus Baptism and then we hit the dull "ordinary" time of a cold, dreary January...so what would Jesus' advice be? What would Jesus do?

I always find the few passages in which Jesus retreats for Spiritual Refreshment / contemplation to be empowering.  I know I suggest that we turn to the Psalms during times of struggle, pain and fear but the psalms only help us normalize and express our feelings; most don't give us options or plans to get through our emotions.  And for this, we look at Jesus and a good dose of Spiritual wisdom that he shares with his disciples.  Some times you need to take a break...take a moment of silence.  Some times you need to get away and reflect so that your soul can recharge.

I'm not going on vacation until March.  But I can, choose to find that same type of Spiritual refreshment in the everyday - in my own life and my own way.  I can take a morning to sit in PJ's and read a good book, knowing I am helping the soul.  I can sing my soul a church song, I can chant a psalm while practicing yoga, I can pray to God knowing that God is listening and I can wear the same three sweaters for a week knowing that by February I will the end in sight and be rejoicing in the beauty of the winter and especially the sparkling snow.

We all have these - some of you might be more chronic or suffer far worse then me.  But finding solace in knowing that even Christ found time to get away and regroup and refresh.  Find what it is that re-energizes your spirit and soul and make it happen!