Mission Statement

Cyber Sabbath's goal is to begin to mend the division between Christ and the world (society) that Church has created through reflections, sermons and devotionals

Cyber Sabbath is a place for the stifled Christian voice to be heard. Media gives way to much time to the extremist - over looking the theologically educated and/or the moderates in favor of what sells their view point. Here, politics aside, a pastor reflects on God's voice in every day life.

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Living with Fear

I almost entitled this post living beyond fear but realized that the word beyond would suggest that we could raise above fear; or that title in itself belittles the fear we feel and I didn't want to say either of those.  But I do want to encourage us to rethink how we deal with fear and fearful moments. 

Lately I have heard and felt a lot of people saying we are living in scary times.  I know that the events last night in London again have filled many with fear.  I know how fear and our bodies response to fear give way to rash decisions and frantic worries.  And I also know that living in instead of with fear can and does cause more harm then good. 

Certainty we need to mourn the loss of more lives.  Rightfully so we can be pained that once again innocent people fell victim to the grandeur problems in the world.  But we should not and cannot allow this fear into our lives.  We cannot allow ourselves to lock down in the name of safety.  Fear is powerful.  Fear is more powerful often then money.  Fear is not something to live in but something to learn to live with.

Our world is not and has not been the TV world of old.  There has also been something to fear but now and today our fears are being played up.  We are being allowed and manipulated to fear more.  This fear is not just coming from one religion or one country but from extremist in all faiths and many countries, even our own. We are encouraged to live in fear; and in doing so continue to give up much of our freedom.  I am not just talking about laws, although there is that too, but our freedom to live the life we want.  Our children from a young age are put into fear through lock-down drills at school and taught not to live with fear but to live in fear. 

But I live into God.  I serve God not fear.  Sure fear exists around me.  Sure one day it is this fear I live with that could kill me.  But I am not going to spend my life in fear.  I am not going to not live my life, fight for my freedoms and serve my God because I am afraid. 

Please think about how you live.  Being in a relationship with the Holy can help transform the fearful moments into moments of surrender - not to those using fear but to God.