Mission Statement

Cyber Sabbath's goal is to begin to mend the division between Christ and the world (society) that Church has created through reflections, sermons and devotionals

Cyber Sabbath is a place for the stifled Christian voice to be heard. Media gives way to much time to the extremist - over looking the theologically educated and/or the moderates in favor of what sells their view point. Here, politics aside, a pastor reflects on God's voice in every day life.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

POWER of Prayer

The power of prayer is real.  There have been several studies that prove that people who believe and people who pray can and do recover.  I have heard countless stories about people who were encouraged by those who prayed for them.  I know this woman who during her stay in the hospital battling an illness a friend of a friend, someone she hardly knew, told her that every day she would stop at 3:00 and pray for her.  No matter what the woman in the hospital was feeling, coming 3:00 a peace would hit her, before she noticed the clock!

I wanted to blog about the power of pray today because I am a little worried about said power.  Lately I hear or see (on social media) a lot of people asking for prayer requests or more like "please pray, cross your fingers or whatever you do..." Or I will see a ton of responses that say "prayers"

If we are going to say that we will pray for someone then we need to accept the power we have in that and we need to actually pray for them.  It is one thing for people to be on the church prayer list, it is another to look at that list each day and pray.  But we hold that power!

Every time I read a post on social media and see the exchange of the word 'prayer' I am hopeful that we are in a world that hasn't given up on God but has instead only given up on religion.  When I see the exchanges of people I know who don't go to church - I hope (and perhaps pray) that these exchanges are done with good intentions.  Intentions to actually pray. 

The power of pray is real.  Not just for people who are sick to recover or find healing.  The power of pray is the real way into which we engage a relationship with the Holy.  Prayer is the real way in which we invoke the Holy Spirit not only in our life but in the lives of others.  Prayer is the gateway to God. 

Prayers don't have to sound great, prayers don't have to use big words and even be all that "good."  Prayers only need to engage God and be from the heart.  Prayers don't have to be about saving physical lives, prayers can be to save your life though.  Prayers don't have to be savvy or even be able to quote scripture.  Prayers will however bring you closer to God.

I simply encourage you to pray.  Pray for others, pray for yourself...just pray.