Mission Statement

Cyber Sabbath's goal is to begin to mend the division between Christ and the world (society) that Church has created through reflections, sermons and devotionals

Cyber Sabbath is a place for the stifled Christian voice to be heard. Media gives way to much time to the extremist - over looking the theologically educated and/or the moderates in favor of what sells their view point. Here, politics aside, a pastor reflects on God's voice in every day life.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Breaking Habit

I am a person of Habit...well at least I am.  But I am married to a person with ADHD and for him habits although they exist are often fleeting.  I prefer days that look the same and life that forms a rhythm.  And yet my days and our life becomes more complicated almost every year. 

As the kids get older and get involved in more the running around seems endless.  As we get more involved in Church business and as our schedules become more complicate the rhythm disappears to a seemingly chaotic rush. 

As we juggle our jobs, mine of which is part time, and childcare our life seems to fade from habit and into randomness.  And yet, the habits are there.  I still don't want to get up in the morning when my alarm goes off, praying for yet one more snooze before the day begins.  I cling to my breakfast of a toasted bagel and peanut butter, varying only when out of one or the other.  I hold tight to my weekly tuna sandwich and my chocolate milk after diner. I always put my purse in the same spot when I walk in the door.  I feed the animals in the same order every morning and I don't cave when the cat wants an extra treat in the evening!  Sadly I even do laundry on the same nights of the week and thus mostly wear the same PJ's on certain days.  Even in the midst of what seems to be a crazy schedule, I fall into the habits that bring me comfort in life. 

Some habits are worth breaking.  Each day when we awake anew, we are reminded of what the Lord has created and of the grace that comes before us.  We are given a new chance and a new opportunity to strengthen our relationship with the divine.  But with our habits of the day - do we truly find time to be with the Lord?  I read a Bible passage each day, I pray over my meals and I speak to God often - but am I doing enough to really take time to strengthen my relationship with God.

The problem when things become a habit is that they become comfortable and not only comfortable they become common.  When God becomes a habit in our life, we take for granted the true relationship we are being offered.  We fail to work at that relationship.  Like my peanut butter toasted bagel every morning, God just becomes one more comfort in our life - which isn't bad.  But a relationship with God deserves more then just a wash down with morning coffee - it deserves praise and worship.  To truly be connected with the Holy we need to go beyond our comfort zone and into a true relationship that pushes us to be more and to seek more.

I encourage you to BREAK out of habit.  One of the ways we as a family are breaking out of habit, is on Wednesdays at dinner time we are trying something new - dinner with God.  We are going to offer new prayers and new music while we eat.  We will discuss a Bible passage and try to encourage our kids to go beyond our nightly reading, beyond the memorized prayer at meals and into a relationship with God that is deeper and more fulfilling.  One not just meant to keep us full for a few hours or a day but one that is meant to sustain us even when life seems to much.

Let us break the habit of God and walk into a relationship with the Creator that opens doors and windows and paths to newness and light - to praise and worship - to life and the Kingdom beyond!