So I am really troubled once again about the way in which we see Justice here in the US and in the mindset of the average person. What is justice? How did Jesus change the ideals of justice and how is that translated today?
In Habakkuk 1:4, Habakkuk laments to God that "The law has become paralyzed and useless, and there is no justice
given in the courts. The wicked far outnumber the righteous, and justice
is perverted with bribes and trickery."
And I can't help but lament with Habakkuk today! We are living in a society in which we punish each other in the name of justice. Now I could go on about our government system and our prisons which surely need a change too, but what I am really talking about here is the "daily justice" we dish out.
How do we act when someone "wrongs us." Once we have judged a person's situation how do our actions change towards them? Do we throw the first stone before offering compassion?
Jesus taught mercy and compassion over justice. So are our churches acting justly if they condemn a whole group of people for a human judgement on their morals? Is the church acting justly if more hurt is coming out of being a part of them? Of course NOT! Is a church acting justly when they bully a Pastor who is doing the right thing? Of course NOT! Is a church acting justly when they give out food at a food pantry but consider those who receive the food to be an "other" - of course NOT!
So how do we change that? I can't help but think of the John Meyer song when I write my blog "waiting on the world to change" as if I am putting out there my thoughts but that there is nothing we can do to change it...to reshape our world now. That it is just too big.
And to some of you my answer is going to sound crazy, impossible and probably improbable, but it is reality. The only way we are going to change the world is if we become PART of the world...but doing. More people in the generation Y need to join churches and start changing them! Ask for more spiritual filled classes, ask for honesty and more important ask for mission! WE can only change if there are more of us. And it isn't just the young who need to get on board...there are plenty of "grey hairs" who see the need and are willing to help.