Mission Statement

Cyber Sabbath's goal is to begin to mend the division between Christ and the world (society) that Church has created through reflections, sermons and devotionals

Cyber Sabbath is a place for the stifled Christian voice to be heard. Media gives way to much time to the extremist - over looking the theologically educated and/or the moderates in favor of what sells their view point. Here, politics aside, a pastor reflects on God's voice in every day life.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Thoughts on changing the church


Social Justice is very close to my heart; from a very young age I have felt that it is my duty to call out and fight for the injustices I see.  Early on, hearing the Bible stories told I came to the understanding that God was just, calling people out on the “bad.”  I heard this in the psalms, the story of the wise king Solomon and in Jesus’ own words. I remember coming to the conclusion that not only were God’s commands complicated, they were wrought with justice issues.
I started my first petition / protest at the age of 5 over the cafeteria lunches; this led to me packing my own lunches for the rest of my school career.  Although I didn’t get very far with this, the drive and spirit for change was released and there was no turning back.  In 6th grade, I fought for a new aid for an Austin child in several of my classes after observing that her aid was very impatient with her at times.  In high school I worked at a soup kitchen and in college joined Alpha Phi Omega.
Today, I continue to strive to live a life of integrity, addressing injustice where I see it and working for change.  For that reason, I don’t shop at Walmart, I research companies before I make larger purchases and I am always questioning the motives of people especially when money and power are involved.
Although being called to ministry wasn’t completely shocking for me – being called to institutional church was. For me, and most my generation, institutional church is just one more corrupt power house where injustice rules freely in guise.  And yet God is a God of justice. I have felt from the beginning of my call that part of my ministry moving forward would be to shed light on the change needed and to work from within to make those changes.
If this is God’s house – God’s church – then why is there so much wrong with it?  Has church itself become the anti-Christ?
While searching my family history I discovered that my 11th and 10th grandfathers back were ministers in the Church of Scotland and the Reformed church tradition in America.  My 10th grandfather back was exiled from Scotland and found refuge in the US for preaching non-conformist views.  So I guess more runs in my family than expected. And it also reminds us that the problems of the Church are not new to us in this day and age but indeed have been a long stemming problem of the Church Universal.  These are not new problems – corruption is not new in the Church (what do you think the reformation was about?)
So no, Church is not the anti-Christ, no matter how personally it has hurt you or someone you love or how irresponsible they have been.   And YES we do have to change our mind-set as to how we perceive Church and our religious community in our lives.  
Our God is a God of justice and wisdom; and our Bible is wrought with social justice undertones (as well as blanket statements!).  So how do we begin to reshape our churches around Matthew 25 instead of around the buildings that we love?  How do we begin to shape our ministries with the community in mind as appose to our own survival?
How do we incorporate into our worship and daily living the Spiritual practices of many of our forefathers and mothers in faith?   How do we open ourselves to God’s will instead of trying to control the circumstances for ourselves?  But the biggest question of ALL is how do we CHANGE the current state of our religious organizations – taking them out of the perception of the anti-Christ – without closing down and starting from starch? 

When you have the answer, please share!