"This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God." 1 Corinthians 4:1
So, what does it mean in today's society to be green? Or maybe the better question is what SHOULD it mean to be green. Today's blog is much more like a rant, for I am just truly confused by our ability as humans beings to let others do our thinking. Our mob mentality (*mob as in going with what the other majority are doing and saying and not mob as in the mafia), so Our mob mentality has led us to jumping on the bang wagon of some trendy and expensive "green" changes.
I feel as a Christian, I am called to be the keeper of God's creation and as such am called to truly take care of this beautiful world. I do believe that it matters how we treat this land and all its living creatures. I hope that the beautiful landscapes will be seen by my children and theirs, as long as we occupy Earth. And as long as I occupy Earth, I try to keep it in the best condition I know how. First, I use cloth diapers and don't buy paper towels. I try to use cloth napkins when possible and we have some cloth wipes as well. Besides that I try to keep our water usage down and I am conscience when I buy and use products.
But here is what I don't understand:
1. Reusable Grocery Bags - First some are 15 dollars or more! Which makes me wonder where the money is going since it isn't going to the people who work in the factory! Why use reusable grocery bags when you then BUY plastic garbage bags?? We use our grocery store bags (which is made from recycled plastic) as our garbage bags, that way we are putting less into the dump.
2. Light bulbs - the move to the energy efficient bulbs is great, and especially a nice IDEA but these bulbs require special disposal and it is NOT good for the environment if people are just trowing them away!! Does everyone know this? I don't think so!!
3. New Appliances - Just because your old appliances aren't necessary energy efficient I don't understand buying NEW APPLIANCES if your old ones still work. The carbon foot print that the "new" appliance made during production, deliver to store and then again to your house seems like it could be equal to using what you already had.
So my advice is that if you want to be more green - start by recycling. Turn of lights, unplug things that aren't in use or check your facets to make sure they aren't leaking. Much of being green is common sense...and think twice when you throw something out.